EAP Top Picks Pt 2: Reading
EAP: our top 5 picks for reading
In the second part of our series focusing on online resources for EAP, here are our top 5 for teaching reading:
1. Oxford Brookes University has put together a variety of resources, including a video guide to readign efficiently, tips for visual and kinesthetic learners and links to other university websites.
2. The University of Manchester provides this guide for studients of the humanities and includes tips on speed reading, active reading, assimilating difficult material and effective summarising.
3. The Open University delivers this online course aimed at helping students develop the the English reading and writing skills needed to succeed in a UK university. The course is free but registeration is required.
4. From Andy Gillett's extensive bank of AEP resources, this guide to reading provides a number of useful exercises, covering subjects including understanding, note-taking and critical reading.
5. Edinburgh Napier University provides an overview of various reading skills, including reading slectively, tips on reading journals and notemaking and referencing.