EAP Top Picks Pt 1: Study Skills
Our top 5 picks for study skills
The sheer volume of teaching resources available on the web can be overwhelming. We've done some of the leg work for you and over the next few posts, we'll be sharing some of our favorite online teaching resources, with a spotlight on English for Academic Purposes.
We're starting with Study Skills- here's our top 5, in no particular order:
1. The University of Leeds provides this set of interactive online tutorials. They cover a variety of useful topics within sections that include "Finding and evaluating academic information", "Reading and notetaking" and "Referencing and avoiding plagarism".
2. From the University of Warwick, a series of 6 online tutorials, including "Dictionary skills", "Note-taking" and "Website evaluation".
And 3 comprehensive online guides from the Open University. You will need to enrol via the OU website but the courses are free:
3. The Open University delivers this guide to study skills, which you can dip in and out of. It also includes a couple of quizzes.
4. Developing good academic practice includes areas such as writing in your own words, the difference between collaboration and collusion, , and how to reference other people’s ideas and writing. There are a couple of useful quizzes here too.
5. Finally, the OU provides a guide aimed at arts and humanities students, and includes interpreting meanings, making judgements nad communication interpreations and judgements.
Next up: writing